Sermon - Living for Jesus
Sermon - 1 Peter 1:1-2; 2:11-12
Living in the face of alienation.
1 Peter 1:1-2 - Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to God’s elect, exiles, scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance.
1 Peter 2:11-12 - Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.
The verses we have today, 1 Peter 1:1-2 and 1 Peter 2:11-12 may seem an odd combination but they both start respect natural halves of the letter. 1 Peter 1:1-2 is obviously the beginning of the letter and the first section. 1 Peter 2:11-12, structurally speaking, is the beginning of the second section.
Our title for today is “Living in the face of alienation and its cure”.
Part 1. God (1 Peter 1:1-2)
Trinity is Love Indivisible
God is made of one indivisible essence or substance, and this is expressed in three persons - Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Trinity is a Love Relationship
Salvation is a co-ordination within, and by, the Trinity (Hebrews 10:7-17; Ephesians 4:4-6; 1 Corinthians 12:4-6).
- God the Father foreknew!
- God the Spirit sanctifies!
- God the Son sacrifices.
Part 2. Therefore (1 Peter 2:11-12)!
Peter reminds the sojourners!
- They are God’s dear children – beloved of God!
- They are in exile – maybe physically but certainly spiritually because their permanent home was not in this world.
- They were travelling towards the heavenly city.
- They were to abstain from sinful desires and go to battle spiritually!
- They are to live lives so innocent, clean and good, that their very lives, were to be a living testimony to the God they had their hope in
If you have not responded to the Father’s call, talk to somebody or leave a comment here! We will get back to you!
If you are already a Christian
- Remember who you are! A person chosen as an object of love by God the Father, sanctified by God the Holy Spirit through the obedient sacrifice of God the Son.
- Remember your permanent home is not on this earth.
- Remember to persevere through all your suffering and persecutions.
- Remember to keep short accounts with God.
- Remember in all aspects of life, as a Christian you are to be seen as different - “counter-cultural”!